Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Community

Everett Community College is a community.

I sit here in the cafeteria and notice the diversity. People are studying, laughing, listening to music. It feels like I'm actually a part of something bigger than me for once. We all have a common goal of furthering ourselves to be the best we can along our path. This is what holds us together as a group.

Some are learning to become nurses, others majoring in math, and are learning a trade such as welding. There are so many different areas of study but they all begin with learning and succeeding. We value that we are able to be here getting more of an education. We all have different life situations and perhaps did not think it possible that we could be here.

Although we are at a college there are still many of the same characteristics you would find in a high school. There are still the cliques. You have the rockers, the smokers, the preps, the nerds...you still hear the same type of gossip.

I only fit into this group in that I need to provide for my family and getting a degree will better assist me in this need. It's good to be a part of this community to be able to learn about others and their life situations. To be able to share in a moment of it with them even if I don't know them on a personal level. It's a great sense of accomplishment for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment