I spent the first ten years of my life growing up in the Alaskan wilderness. It was amazing and every child should be so lucky! Then we moved to Washington. Needless to say it was not comparable for me. I felt lost in a big city. It was scary and there were strangers....it was Bothell.
Fortunately almost all of the rest of our family members followed us down to live here as well. It was not long after that we began to take family outings to some of the more beautiful places to find a little bit of that wilderness we had reluctantly left behind. Places like Deception Pass, Kalaloch, Ocean Shores, and Kayak Point, soon became our summer rituals.
Being a rather large family, we always decided to bring our own food rather than stop along the way to hit up a restaurant or a fast food place. My mother would fry up a bunch of chicken and make a large potato salad in addition to picking up pop and potato chips at the grocery store. But the best thing of all was my grandmother's sandwiches. She would make her specialties of course....peanut butter and onion with a layer of butter and Liverwurst with onion. And I couldn't get enough. I'm not sure what possessed a ten year old to crave a peanut butter and onion sandwich but I did. They were so good! The menu was the same for every trip and none of us gave it a second thought.
My grandmother passed away around 9 years ago and I don't believe we've really had an outing like we did when she was still alive. I'm thinking about planning a trip later in the spring early summer. Looks like I'll be bringing the sandwiches!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment